Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I've Wanted to Take Pics Like this for Awhile Now

I've seen a lot of posts in an online chat community that I belong to, where people ask how to store cloth diapers. Very few responses include a changing table like our's, and most of the curious have similar tables.
.
So, here is where we change diapers and how Saxton's cloth diapers are stored
.
.
The diapers are stored by type on the middle shelf of the changing table, in either baskets or stacks. The in season wool, our choice cover, is also stored on this shelf. The cloth wipes sit in the center front for easy access. The bottom shelf contains hemp doublers (the best kind ever), off-season wool, and soakers. The wetback hangs on the right side of the table, and the diaper pins are stored to the left, on top of the dresser.
.
We use several types of diapers, including flats, prefolds, fitteds, AIOs, and pockets.
.
.
.
From left to right: (front row) flats, prefolds, wipes, and fitteds
(back row) more flats, wool longies, pockets, and more fitteds
.
I love how bright and cheery our diapers are!
.
.
Yup, that's right, we own a Farmall patterned diaper. Isn't it cute?
.
.
We own several different brands of fitteds.
Front to back: Suzy's One Size & Four Little Fluff Bugs, Goodmamas, and stacked in the top picture, Artsy Fartsy FooFoo, and on top of the table, Sustainablebabyish.
.
I prefer Blueberry brand pockets & Bum Genious Organic AIOs when we don't want to wear wool or our Olive Jane cover.
(AIOs are kept in the diaper bag)
.
Usually, we wear wool. I love handknit wool!
(in case you can't tell from previous posts)
.
.
I covered a handmade bar of soap with a piece of flannel, and keep my pins stuck in it. Not only does it keep my pins close by, but the natural oils from the soap coat the ends and make them very easy to slide thru diaper fabric. Because it's on top of the dresser, I don't have to worry about Saxton geting into the pins and getting hurt.
.
.
The bottom shelf of the changing table has 3 baskets that sit in the front. One basket holds hats (that Saxton has no intention of wearing), one holds his newly aquired blocks, and the 3rd is where we keep his shoes (not that he wears more than one pair, picky kid).
.
Behind the baskets, and away from curious fingers, I keep our other diapering supplies.
.
In the back left corner, is the hemp inserts/doublers (all made by the notorious AFFF), stacked neatly (sorta), where i can reach them from the side when needed.
.
.
In the center back is the stack of shorties, waiting ever so patiently for warmer weather. Aren't they bright and cheery?
.

.
In the back right hand corner, and not pictured, is where I keep our stack of wool soakers. We wear them under jenas, cords, slacks, and at night. Like the doublers, I can reach them thru the bars of the table.
.
Lastly, the top of the changing table.
.
I keep the changing pad up there, of course, and hang wool off the edges to dry. Sometimes they are drying after a super wet diaper or a day of use, or if they a soaker, I hang them there after I wash and lanolize them. Right after I wash & fold diapers, I usually place a night time diaper on top, because I don't have room below.
.
.
There you have it; the where, how, and why we store the diapers the way we do.
.
Happy cloth diapering!
.
.
.

No comments: