Monday, March 22, 2010

:::Falls on Floor, Exhausted:::

I'm about as done as I can be, all things considering (like needing to replace the dripping faucet, but it has to wait for DH to be off to do that). Done that is, with the main batheroom!!!!
.
I'm very happy at the moment.
.
Before (sorta. I painted the cabinets white shortly after moving it, because the oak was fugly):
.

.

.

.
.
And remember when I painted the walls back in November because I bought new rugs?
.

.

.

.
.
Well, the time had arrived for the new flooring!
.
We bought a single tile down south of us, put it in the batheroom, and liked it. So we called the Lowes north of us (much closer), and asked about the tile. They don't stock it there. But HUGE customer service rave!!!! They sold me the more expensive tiles at the same price I would have paid for the tiles I wanted!
.
I took my original tile in, found it's long lost identical cousins, and brought all 70 home for $.88 cents each. We also bought the glue/primer that helps the self-stick tiles stick better on the wood subfloor, silicone caulking (that I ended up not using much of), and a new heat vent for the floor.
.

.
The tile was bought on a Sunday, and on Monday, I did this:
.

.
Like my painted square? We had to replace the wax seal on the toilet in December, and discovered serious floor damage. J replaced the many, many subfloors, and I painted it white to protect it from moisture, since we had cut away the linolium.
.

.
On Tuesday, I bought a trowel, and spread the primer/bonding adhesive. After it sat for 5 hours and was just tacky to the touch, I started laying tile!
.

.
On Wednesday, I finished laying the tile, and started sealing the joints with white caulking.
.

.
On Thursday, DH helped me put the toilet back in with (yet another) new wax seal. Much to my horror, I hooked everything up, and discovered lots of water leaking out of the tank.
.
J went to Home Depot and bought a $7 part to fix it, while I researched repairs on the internet.
.
That night, I played plumber, and as they say, out with the old, and in with the new!
.

.
The new floater isn't a ball. It's... different. But it works!
.
.
The floor (and toilet) were done!
.
.
On Sunday, I bought towels. At the advice of several opinionated friends, I went with the eggplant, chocolate, and gold. And, for the record, K-Mart carries a new line from Country Living. VERY nice stuff, at great prices.
.

.
.
This past Saturday, I purchased 12 more vinyl self stick tiles, this time from Home Depot, and in granite. I cut the to 4x4 squares, sanded down the laminate counter top (followed by a good wiping), and laid tile on top of it. I "grouted" it with white caulking (like the floor), and my previously pale blue piece of plastic, is a stone look alike!
.
I painted all the switch plates tan, so that they flowed better as well.
.
Like my antiqued brass accessories? Cannon from K-Mart. Yeah, baby!
.

.
.
and finally, the finished space:
.

.
.
Love my vintage cameras! Gotta have 'em EVERYWHERE, lol!
.

.

.
My decor cost me $15. Most of the stuff you see, I had on hand, or I had the supplies on hand to make them. Tree branch is from my own backyard.
.

.

.
My goal was elegant and classy. I think I reached it.
.
.
.

1 comment:

AllyB said...

Hey! Your bathroom looks fabulous. Wanna come and do mine? LOL I've seen you on the Vintage Sewing Machine group on Rav and thought I'd check you out...there you go, out doing me in the home improvement department. Wanna see pictures of my kitchen? jk