Saturday, September 6, 2008

Making Baby Legs from a Sweater

I know people can make these from socks, but I wanted some nice & warm ones, and I happened to have an old 2t Gap wool blend sweater that was Xavian's. It's been in about 5 yardsales, and since I'm having a fall yardsale this weekend, I set it out again. Hurricane something or other has sent cool weather our way, and it reminded me that I want to tryout some baby legs on Saxton.

I picked up the sweater (it's a beautiful shade of navy blue), measured the arms against Saxton's legs, and wondered if I could make legs out of them. I inquired if anyone knew how on the nest, and SqueekyTaco (aka: the maker of Crunchy Clean on etsy.com) gave me the link for making legs with women's socks, so I looked over the blogger's directions and thought, well, maybe I can find one's made from a sweater online? Google yielded nothing useful. I looked back at the sweater and thought, well, someone's got to be the first to try, right? And although, I'm sure I'm not the first, I am hoping my posting my how-to will help other mommies out there!

Here's the sweater I started with:



Then, I cut the sleeves off, making sure I left the finished edge where the sleeve connected to the torso on the arms:






I turned the sleeve inside out, and then I threaded my yarn needle with yarn I have on hand (hence the white), and pulled it thru the seam of the sleeve on the top of the sleeve. I secured by tying the yarn into a knot, wrapped around a knitted stitch to secure:



I turned the top of the sleeve down to make a hem of sorts and to adjust for the shoulder rise of the sleeve. I whip stitched the edge by threading thru the back of the knitted stiches, careful not to pull it tight:
Once I had stitched it down completely, I tied the yarn off where I tied when I started. Notice how the knitted row is straight:



I turned the top of the sleeve down to make a hem of sorts and to adjust for the shoulder rise of the sleeve. I whip stitched the edge by threading thru the back of the knitted stiches, careful not to pull it tight:



Here is the sleeve turned right side out. It still has a shorter side, good for the inside of the leg:



I doubled the yarn on my needle, and starting on the side of the sleeve, I wove it in and out of the top of it, all the way around, and tied the ends, leaving 4" at eack end with out tightening the yarn:


Here, I've put them on Saxton, tightened the top, above his chubby thighs, and tied into a bow:



I tucked the tied yarn into the tops so he can't untie them, and voila! I made baby legs!!! You can too...

No comments: