Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Sewing Space and the Return of the Decorating Bug

I know several people have been wondering where I sew. Well, I sew in the entryway of my home! It allows me to keep an eye on my family, have plenty of fresh air when the front door is open, and I have plenty of room to move around.
.
Of course, since I work in the hub of my house, I have to try to keep my space neat. Which is a challange for my creative genious. But I do it. And I survive.
.
Here, is where I create my sewn delights (as viewed from the grand staircase):
.
.
Eventually, I hope to get a sewing table to keep my primary machine in, and a small cabinet fr my fabrics, instead of that lovely green tub.
.
Wait! I did buy a table to keep my machine in! I just fell in love with the machine that came in it, lol! That beautiful piece of work now lives in front of the diningroom's front window, next to J's B&O RR switchstand signal light.
.

.
Which brings me to the next order of business.
.
The Decorating Bug has me in the grips of extreme fever right now! Just in case you couldn't tell with recent blogging posts.
.
Right now, I am searching for a canopy bed for Korra's room, art for Korra's room, art for the entryway, a 16x20 oval frame for wall of the grand staircase, a sewing machine table, small wooden cabinet for my fabric, a tredle sewing machine table to use as a night stand for me, art for my bedroom, heavy crown moulding for my bedroom, a rug for the twin room, an outdoor rug for my front porch dining set, 2 tables for the new patio, a bistro set for the patio, the perfect fabric for the patio furniture's cushions, flooring for the laundry room, something clever to hang in the laundry room, a frame for a limited edition odd shaped print for over the dining room fireplace, blah, blah, blah...
.
I could go on and on all day. My list is HUGE!
.
And because my list is huge, I know I have to be frugal. Which means big box stores are probably not where I am going to shop. I don't like shopping there anyway. Instead, I adore shopping at yardsales, flea markets, antique malls, and etsy. I window shop online all.the.time.
.
Lately, while surfing etsy and design blogs, I have come across one or two cute things.
.
I really like this painted ceiling tin tile that says, "Bless this house"
.
.
I think it would look adorable over my entry way's brass switch plate! I discoved the etsy store Embellished Bayou (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6874265) after learning about a new blog (http://cprojectpretty.blogspot.com/). You like? She's doing a giveaway right now! (http://cprojectpretty.blogspot.com/2009/06/embellished-giveaway_18.html)
.
I found a great website full of fabulous picture frames that suit my tastes and this house perfectly, but not so much for the pocket book. The Victorian Frame Company (http://victorian-frames.stores.yahoo.net/oval-frames.html) has lots to choose from in all sorts of sizes. And I like. A lot. But I know J would fall over dead if I spent $200+ on a picture frame! I am really going to have to do some digging at some yardsales this summer. And see about attending a few more estate sales. Estate sales would probably be the best bet, but you never know!
.
So, for now, tonight, I sit and drool over things on the internet and the pictures of what I want in my mind. But have no fear, I already have today's newspaper open and have circled some yardsales for tomarrow morning. Gotta get there quick for the good stuff!
.
.
.

No comments: