Thursday, October 22, 2009

Did You Know They Make 1/2 Gallon Canning Jars?

I knew that they used to, but I didn't realize that they are making a comeback.
.
What might one use a 2 quart Ball jar for, you ask?
.
Well,
I used my 6 new jars to can 3 gallons of that amazing apple cider we made last Saturday. Tonight, while J & I admired the freshly processed jars, I came to the conclusion that they are perfect for canning a family sized soup meal. Which would be great when I'm sick or have to make dinner on the fly for whatever reason.
.
They cost $10 for 6, which is comparable to a dozen quart jars for $10. And, unlike many pint, 1/2 pint and 1/2 cup jars, and some quart jars, these won't go to other homes as gifts. They'll live here, and only here. And that makes them cost effective as well. Not to mention that home processed food contains far less preservatives that store bought pre-made foods. BPA anyone?
.
To give you an idea of the size difference in jars, the pictured jars are sized as follows from front to back:
1/2 cup jar (great for apple butters, ect for gift giving)
1/2 pint jelly jar
Pint sized jelly jar
Pint jar, regular mouth
Quart jar, wide mouth
1/2 gallon jar, wide mouth
.
.
Every size of jar has it's use. Some are used more widely than others.
.
I'm hoping to add another 1/2 dozen of the 2 Quart (1/2 gallon) jars to my collection next pay, so I can make some family sized soup.
.
Oh, and you won't find these at Wal-Mart, the grocery store, the bulk foods store, or Cosco. You're going to have to call around to your small town hardware stores. I found mine 10 miles south of here in a mom & pop hardware/general store set-up. But I called several other places before I found some. I saw some on Amazon as well, but you're going to pay $20 per half dozen by the time they charge you shipping.
.
And for those of you requesting a canning blog, perhaps eventually, but right now, I'm stretched pretty thin keeping up with my family and this blog. Add 8 more hours to the day, & it might help.
.
.
.

No comments: