Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin Guts & Monster Faces

We always put off pumpkin carving until just a few days before trick-or-treating, because I fear the pumpkin smashing morons of the world & rotting pumpkins.
.
We buy our pumpkins from a local pumpkin farm who charges 25c a pound. We always get big fat ones to carve, warty ones for interest, and white ones because they are cool. This year, it was pouring down rain when we got to the pumkin stand, so the kids stayed in the car, and my MIL & I got drenched picking out the best of the best. The kids then spent the next 20 days rolling them, carrying them, sitting on them, and dreaming up what to carve.
.
Just a few benefits of buying same day picked local!
.
The pumpkin stash, minus the 5 pie pumpkins that were gutted and tortured in the kitchen
.
.
The kids decided who's was whose, and then I whipped out my trusty butcher knife
(Please ignore my concentrating face)
.
.
The removing of the pumpkin guts took about an hour!
.
.
.
.
The actual carving process was fairly quick.
.
Korra had me draw the design on her's, while Xavian manned the marker himself.
.
I carved mine & Saxton's
.
J carved his and Korra's
.
Xavian's took a joint effort and a lot of hand cramping.
.
Finally, we lit our 2009 Jack-o-Lanterns!
.
Can anyone guess which one belongs to each of us?
.
.
It's beginning to feel a lot more like Halloween!
.
.
.

No comments: